1/18/2007

Sewing Hermitage

I have been hiding the last several days. I am sorry I haven't been blogging. There has been a lot going on and much of it is very stressful. There is also this freak deep freeze in southern California. The low in my city last night was 14 degrees. We have broken records every night the last week. It even snowed in Malibu! And people are acting crazy! Doing nutty things that are totally out of character. However, everything will be ok and to cope... I have been sewing.

I don't have any photos again, but I had about 3 or 4 yards of nubby woven fabric, that I hear, is very hard to sew with. Well I had several yards of it and as I unfolded it and let the fabric fall around me I thought that it would make a very nice blanket. So, I made 20 feet of patchwork bias binding and sewed most of it on. The fabric I used is very shabby chic. Natural muslin, a cream fabric with tiny roses and a whiter cream fabric with tiny bright blue flowers. Its an interesting contrast with the black fabric but I really like how it came out. I promise to take pics when its done and my computer is fixed.

The 2nd project I made today was a dishcloth apron. I really need one in the kitchen because while I cook, I was my hands and always wipe them on my pants. I cant help it. So I cut one of Pumpkin's old baby blankets in half and sewed on 2 in red bias binding with a Velcro closure. The apron fabric was baby jungle animals in primary colors. It looks really cute and useful. I think I am going to get a lot of use out of it.

I have been looking at a box full of scraps and contemplating some cuff bracelets. I think some of the teens I know might like them.

I also made a new pillow the other day. Its a red and cream paisley with a red wine colored backing. Its beautiful!

No comments: